07785 919 796
MR Residential

Property Rentals & Maintenance : Newcastle, Gateshead, Tyne & Wear, Co. Durham

Useful Information

Mark Routledge, managing director, has a wealth of letting experience and local knowledge. He is available for any query regarding the letting of your property from a practical aspect through to Legal aspects i.e. housing issues.

We offer a marketing service and are happy to visit the property and provide advice and a rental valuation with no further obligation to you.

General Information For Letting Your Property

If you retain a property for investment purposes or are letting your home whilst abroad or in the UK then this property will represent a significant investment to you. This will be in terms of both the property itself as well as the furnishings and fittings. You will want your property to be let and/or managed in the most professional manner.

There is a good demand for both furnished and unfurnished accommodation. In both instances the properties must be well presented at the commencement of the tenancy. We are able to provide advice on decoration and furnishings if required. We also offer a service whereby we will help choose items of furnishings and we are able to provide competitively priced quotes for necessary works and furnishings.

Preparation Of Property Prior To Letting

The landlord must ensure the property is well cleaned throughout prior to commencement of the tenancy and windows should be cleaned and gardens (if any) well maintained. Carpets and curtains should be professionally cleaned where possible. All machines/appliances and heating/water systems should be in excellent working order. Clear instructions for use must be left and advice provided on items under service contracts or guarantees. Advice on location of fuse box and meters should also be provided. The tenant is responsible for maintaining the garden during the tenancy but the equipment should be provided by the landlord.


The landlord should ensure his lending institution, if any, is aware the property is to be let. The bank or building society will usually require sight of the tenancy agreement that will be used and we are happy to arrange this. If the let is to an individual it would normally be Assured Shorthold Tenancy or if to a company then our company tenancy would be issued. We can of course discuss these in more detail with you.

Fire & Furnishings Regulations

Fire/Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations 1988 (as amended in 1989, 1993 & 2010) set levels of fire resistance for domestic upholstered furniture, furnishings and other products containing upholstery. Further information can be provided upon request.

Gas Regulations 1998

By law under the Gas Safety (installation & use) Regulations 1998, it is the Landlord responsibility to obtain a Gas Safety Certificate (CP12) every 12 months. You must obtain this from a Gas Safe Registered Engineer. It is the duty of the person who owns the gas appliance any pipework or flues installed in the premises or any part of the premises let by him/her to ensure that such an appliance installed pipework or flues are maintained and checked annually for safety.

Electricity Obligations

The Electricity at Work Act 1990: Low Voltage electrical equipment (safety) regulations 1989 require all portable electrical equipment supplied by the landlord to be correctly maintained and safe for use. Items such as fridges, kettles, washing machines etc. are now required to be periodically both visually and electrically tested and the results recorded. Landlords should ensure necessary arrangements are made for such testing.


Keys / locks should be provided for all doors / window locks. The tenants will require at least 2 sets of keys. They will also require car park passes / keys if applicable.


It is essential to have a detailed inventory of your furniture and effects and we should be provided with this prior to the commencement of the tenancy. We are able to provide an inventory preparation service if required (for which a charge of £75 unfurnished / £100 furnished will be made on properties on a Let Only basis) we would advise that carpets and curtains remain at the property and that white goods are to be provided. We also suggest that landlords do not leave electrical items such as TV and Video recorders in the property.

Overseas Landlords

If you are going abroad and you will be difficult to contact, then you should ensure someone in the UK has access to funds in the event of major expenditure.

If you will be a non-UK resident for income tax purposes you should appoint an accountant to handle your tax affairs.

Tenancy Agreements

The tenancy agreement that we will issue is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, this agreement used to have to be for any period of time for example 2 weeks to 2 years. However we recommend that the lease be on a 6 month term and to be rented after this date where appropriate. Should the landlord decide they would like possession of their property they must ensure that they put this in writing to the agent (where the property is managed).


Before the commencement of the tenancy, the landlord must ensure that they have taken meter readings for gas, electric and water (if metered), they then must advise the relevant utility company that they have vacated and that the property is empty pending letting and provide a forwarding address for any closing invoices. Landlords must also advise Mr Residential of all final meter readings.

Landlords should also advise British Telecom that they are leaving and they should also advise the council tax department, we will write to the local council tax and advise them of all new tenancies.

In winter months we would strongly recommend that the electricity be left on and that if the property is unoccupied the water system to be drained in order to avoid leaks and bursts. The drain down can be arranged through our nominated heating engineer.

Rental Payments / Arrears Where Properties Are Managed

Rents are collected on a monthly basis, wherever possible tenants are to pay rents by setting up a standing order mandate, however some tenants choose to pay rent by Cheque. Rents will be processed on a monthly basis and should tenants go into arrears the landlords will be contacted immediately and the necessary action taken to resolve the situation.


It is advised that landlords leave copies of all service contract and approve contractors in order that the agent may contact the relevant person should a problem arise. Wherever possible we will endeavour to contact the landlord about repairs that need attending to and obtain estimates. Landlords must allow for fair wear and tear of the property.

Tenants Responsibilities

The tenants are responsible for payments of the electricity and gas consumed or supplied to the property during the tenancy. They are also responsible for telephone charges and water charges (should the property be exclusive of water rates).

Tenants pay rental monies monthly in advance and this is usually by standing order mandate. A deposit of a sum equivalent to 1 months rent is also paid at the commencement of the term. If we are managing the property we will retain the deposit in our Client Trust Account. If the landlord is managing the property then it will be their responsibility to hold and administer the deposit at the termination of the tenancy.

The tenant will be responsible for council tax. On a full management basis we will contact the relevant council tax department.

Services Offered

Mr Residential provide the following services:

  1. Drawing up of tenancy agreements
  2. Inventory preparation
  3. Property letting
  4. Letting and management
  5. Financial Requirements
  6. Negotiation of investment service

Drawing Up Of Tenancy Agreement

We do offer a service whereby we will draw up a tenancy agreement - this being an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. The fee for this service is £50.00.

Tenant Find Service

Management Services

This includes all items noted under Tenant Find Service and in addition:

1a. Draw up inventory and schedule of condition.

1b. Collection of each months rent. Rents are then transferred monthly to landlords by Cheque or direct in a bank account. A monthly statement is sent to the landlord.

2. Preparation of standing order mandates for future rental payments.

3. Advising local council tax offices, gas board, electricity board and water boards of the names of the tenants and the commencement of their tenancy.

4. Regular property checks. It must be understood that theses inspections can only provide a superficial examination and are not intended as a structural survey.

5. Arranging for maintenance problems to be resolved. We use local tradesmen known to us unless the landlord specifies a particular individual or firm.

6. Contacting current tenants and landlords on the fourth month of the tenancy to issue Notice to Quit to determine whether the tenant wishes to: a. Renew for 6 months, b. Decide to go onto a Statutory Periodic Tenancy i.e. monthly basis c. It is in fact your intention to vacate the property.

7. We will continue to rent your property out until such time as you write advising us that you no longer wish your property to be let, at which point we will serve the relevant notice on your tenants.

8. Organise repairs and maintenance up to the value of £200 unless the landlord has specifically stated otherwise.

9. Manage the property during empty periods, during the winter months including draining down the water system (the cost is to be paid by the landlord), through our nominated heating engineer.

10. Carry out an ingoing and outgoing inventory check and preparing schedule of dilapidation's. We will negotiate and agree dilapidation's on your behalf and make the appropriate deductions from the tenants deposit. If we are managing the property, we will require a full set of keys in addition to the tenants. We will also require a copy of all house instructions.

UK ALATWFRSMy DepositsPrimeLocationOn The Market